LIBRARY CHESTER ROAD
Highgate Library, Chester Rd, N19, the first public library in
St Pancras, was opened on 18th October 1906. It is now a Grade II
listed building. The £4000 to build it was given by Andrew
Carnegie and the Duke of Bedford gave £500 to buy the site.
The Friends of Highgate Library (FOHL) was set up in 1995 by
local volunteers. It aims to support and promote use of the library.
We organise regular meetings when speakers, usually writers,
talk about their work.
We produce a regular newsletter which is delivered to members.
This includes advance information about meetings.
Recently, we raised money to refurbish the library frontage
to make a small garden with seating.
We invite members to take part in FOHL activities and to express
their views and ideas, particularly at the AGM in March.
Membership - Application Forms are on the FOHL noticeboard in the library - near the door to the childrens section. The subscription, due in March each year is £5 ( concession for under-18s,retired or unemployed £1). Contact the treasurer, Linda Lefevre, by note
c/o Highgate Library, Chester Road, London N10 5DH.
Patrons: Hunter Davies, June Rose
President: Roger Loyd Pack
Acting Chairman: Fabian Watkinson
Hon. Sec: Margot Kafno
Hon. Treas: Linda Lefevre
LIBRARY OPENING HOURS
Tues, Wed, Thurs 10 - 7
Sat, 10 - 5
closed Mon and Fri.
LOCAL STUDIES & ARCHIVE CTRE